I've also started reading Naturally Healthy First Foods for Baby by Jacqueline Rubin. I highly reccommend it! It tells about your baby's nutritional needs and how they change as your baby grows. It also includes a lot of recipes for your baby's different stages. Today I learned that you can make your own rice cereal! I bet one bag of rice would go a long way! The instructions in the book go a little something like this:
- Soak 1/2 cup short grain brown rice overnight.
- Bring to a boil in 3 cups of water. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain out the liquid, but reserve it!
- Puree rice with some of the reserved liquid, formula, or breast milk until a thin consistency is reached.
- Rice cereal may be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days. When reheating, you may need to add some of the reserved liquid to reach the right consistency.