Here's a picture of the shark cake I was working on until 2 in the morning! I cannot remember the last time I stayed up that late! The weird thing was that I didn't even feel that tired. I guess I was just in the zone! The best part about making a cake for your child's birthday is that it will save you a lot of money. It cost me about $25 to make this cake. I doubt you can find a bakery that will charge you less than that for a similar cake!
Here's a quick how I did it:
What you need:
- 12" round pan
- Loaf pan
- Shortening and flour (to coat the pans)
- Serrated Knife (to level the cakes)
- Toothpicks & skewers
- Aluminum Foil
- Decorating bag & round tip
- Fondant (enough to cover the shark, make the small buoys and make the lettersl, one recipe from this link will do)
- Red, green, black and blue food coloring (I use the Wilton gel)
- Rice Krispy treats (I used the recipe on the back of the box)
- Simple White Cake recipe x 6
- Quick Vanilla Buttercream recipe x 5
Here's how to do it:
1. Level and stack the two loaf pan layers. Fill with a thin layer of buttercream frosting. Freeze (this will make it easier to carve out the cake).
2. Level and stack the two 12" layers. Fill and cover with blue tinted buttercream frosting.
4. Now it's time to carve the shark! Here is a more up close picture: